Learning to Drive a Modified Vehicle
This organized course of evaluation, instruction and licensing is designed for people who want to learn how to drive vehicles that have been modified to accommodate their disability. As part of this service, inspectors evaluate driving capabilities and determine the appropriate modifications needed for the vehicle.
Referrals can come through the Department of Aging and Disability Services (ADS) or private physical therapists, but self-referral is accepted. Those living in isolated areas of the state have priority.
Adaptive Driver Training is available to Connecticut residents who:
- Have a physical disability which requires special equipment to operate a motor vehicle.
- Received a medical clearance from the DMV Driver Services Division.
- Have a valid license or, if a new driver, have obtained a Learner’s Permit from the DMV.
- Complied with the DMV identification, residency, vision screening, knowledge testing and driver education requirements and
- If using a wheelchair, can independently transfer to the driver’s seat of the Driver Training Program’s (DTP) training vehicle. If not, training will take place in the driver’s own specially-equipped vehicle that has already been modified to accommodate a wheelchair. All vehicles used for training shall be properly registered, insured and equipped with an instructor’s brake.
Services and Fees
There is no fee for the adaptive driver training.
After completion of training of a DTP vehicle and having been issued a license, the training instructor will provide a prescription for the special adaptive equipment to be installed in the vehicle. A list of vendors who supply and install adaptive equipment will be provided. Before having any equipment installed, ensure the vendor chosen is knowledgeable of the prescription in order to safely and properly install the required equipment.
Find in Your Area
Please call the Department of Aging and Disability Services at 1-800-537-2549 (Toll-Free). Or call 1-860-424-4844 locally in the Hartford area or the DMV Driver Services Division at 1-860-263-5723 for information on enrolling in an adaptive drivers training program.
You can also visit the ADS Driver Training Program for Persons with Disabilities website.