Nutrition Supports for Older Adults
Older adults and people with disabilities can receive nourishing, nutritionally-balanced meals through the Elderly Nutrition Program. Eligible participants and their spouses can enjoy meals at congregate meal sites, also known as Senior Community Cafes, or have meals delivered to their home.
There are several benefits to individuals participating in the Elderly Nutrition Program. Food at congregate meal sites may be served up to five times a week. People with disabilities receiving home meal delivery may also be provided evening and weekend meals. The program also provides nutrition screening, assessment, education and counseling to help participants meet their nutritional needs.
In addition, congregate meal sites offer individuals space for socializing, connecting and volunteering.
To be eligible to receive meals at a congregate meal site, individuals must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be 60 years of age or older, or a spouse of an eligible participant
- Be a person with a disability under 60 years of age living with and accompanying an eligible older adult
- Be a person with a disability under 60 years of age living in an elderly housing facility which has a congregate meal site
Participants who want meals delivered to their home must meet one of the following requirements:
- Be 60 years of age or older and have a disability or restriction that reduces one’s ability to leave their home, as determined by an assessor
- Have a disability and be living with someone who already receives home-delivered meals
- Be the spouse of an eligible person receiving home-delivered meals
Types of Services & Supports that can be used for Elderly Nutrition Program
The Elderly Nutrition Program provides meals and nutrition education to eligible individuals at congregate meal sites and home-delivered meals to individuals unable to go to a community cafe.
Meals are free to eligible participants, although a voluntary donation is encouraged. No one is denied service if they cannot make a donation.
There are many ways to access information or to apply for the Elderly Nutrition Program.